Sunday, February 16, 2014

Gifted and Talented Class

Hello!  I have been given the opportunity this year to teach 2nd grade Gifted and Talented students and can't wait to share with you some things that I have been using with my fabulous class of 22 students. I started planning for the new year in the summer for these sweet darlings (This is the first year our school system has implemented gifted and talented classes in elementary school), and some things didn't go as planned :-(.  However, some things have worked for me and I want to share them with others!!  Here are some gifted activities that I have incorporated into our days along with regular Common Core activities:

Monday: Logic Problems from Logic Safari (This is downloadable online as an e-book on Prufrock Press website--BTW, Prufrock Press has wonderful resources for gifted students!!!)


Tuesday: "T is for Think" Activities--I found this jewel on Amazon!


Wednesday: Primarily Creative--great book to use, you can find it on Amazon too.  This book gets creative juices flowing with lessons in eight areas of creativity including: curiosity, fluency, originality, imagination, awareness, flexibility, elaboration, and perseverance.  My students love it! 


Thursday/Friday: Word a Day-2nd grade/3rd grade Versions- (We use this on Thursday and Friday and actually hang these words up in the classroom on the wall, sorted into Noun, Verb, Adjective, Adverb)  This book gives teachers a fun way to bring in vocabulary instruction.  We do 4 words a week, and then take the quiz at the end of the day on Friday.
  
         


We are using Curriculum Compacting so that teachers will have time to bring in the Creative and Flexible thinking, Logic, and other learning activities that gifted students need.  This provides us with much free time that is needed within our  classroom to bring in activities such as chess, some coding activities (YES-I am teaching beginning computer programming to 2nd graders, call me crazy!), learning a foreign language, and research skills.

These are just a few of the things that have worked for me so far.  I will continue to post as things come to my mind that we use.  

I can't wait to share more that we do in the upcoming weeks!!     


2 comments:

  1. THANK YOU! I teach gifted children, too and finding resources is so hard!

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews